The Palace and the botanical garden in Balchik
The Balchik Palace (Bulgarian: Дворец в Балчик, Dvorets v Balchik; Romanian: Castelul din Balcic) is a palace in the Bulgarian Black Seatown and resort of Balchik in Southern Dobruja. The official name of the palace was the Quiet Nest Palace. It was constructed between 1926 and 1937, during the Romanian control of the region, for the needs of Queen Marie of Romania. The palace complex consists of a number of residential villas, a smoking hall, a wine cellar, a power station, a monastery, a holy spring, a chapel and many other buildings, as well as most notably a park that is today a state-run botanical garden. Balchik Palace is 17 metres (56 ft) above sea level.